Aktuelles
  • Herzlich Willkommen im Balkanforum
    Sind Sie neu hier? Dann werden Sie Mitglied in unserer Community.
    Bitte hier registrieren

Why a ‘Bosnian Spring’ is Bosnia’s only hope

F

foxy black

[...] I find it exceptionally tedious and disheartening that twenty years since the beginning of the war in BiH, and the dissolution of the Yugoslav state, that political dialogue surrounding the country’s future is still very much held hostage by elaborate campaigns of revisionism. I share Babic’s desire for reconciliation, but I reject his seemingly passionate embrace of a Spanish style “pact of oblivion.”

BiH is in desperate need of a cathartic break with the past that must be based on historical fact; this is only possible, however, though popular mobilization. The present constitutional structure in BiH has created essentially an apartheid state, that has institutionalized formerly mythologized “ancient ethnic hatreds” and made them a reality. We have segregated schools which serve only to reproduce xenophobia and chauvinism, and a political establishment that profits from the reactionary squabbling which these ethnic-fiefdoms, these modern-day Bantustans engender. The contemporary Bosnian state cannot even extend basic democratic rrights to all of its citizens – only those belonging to the so-called “constitutive nations,” and even then only those living the appropriately homogenous locales, can really secure some semblance of supposed representation.

This political establishment has no substantive interest in meaningful reforms in BiH because they understand that a genuinely democratic and participatory society would effectively spell the end of their oligarchic reigns. In April of 1992, nearly 100,000 citizens of Sarajevo collectively and independently took to the streets, demanding a peaceful resolution to the developing crisis in the country which had already precipitated violence in Kosovo, Slovenia, Croatia and was now threatening BiH.Nenad Pejic writes, that for “Bosnia’s political parties this was the greatest threat ever posed to them. An organic movement was spontaneously demanding their wholesale resignation.”

This is the narrative I want to establish in BiH today: one which recognizes the political and economic dispossession which characterizes our political system, and recognizes that only the people of BiH themselves can initiate meaningful change in response. Reconciliation between BiH’s communities will only be possible when the people themselves amputate the political classes which orchestrated and engineered the dissolution of Yugoslavia and whose heirs continue to profit from the politics of division and fear.

Across the globe, a new generation of youth, in particular, is becoming politicized in the era of austerity, increasing political authoritarianism and the revolt against these tendencies. Whatever we may think of the Arab Spring or the Occupy movement and its often contradictory tendencies, one thing is clear: the idea of the revolutionary mass has returned to the fore of political practice.

Across the Balkans, but perhaps nowhere more so than in BiH, the groundswell of discontent is palpable. A new social order which will ensure participation and protection for all peoples is the only option left to us because all other alternatives have been exhausted – especially those based in chauvinism and violence. As neither the local or international political establishment seem to have any meaningful intention of creating such a society, the task has fallen to ordinary Bosnians themselves. The time for a Bosnian, a Balkan Spring is long, long overdue.

In the words of Frenkie: “nemam više šta izgubit, idem ih rušit!” [“I have nothing left to lose, I’m going to go wreck them!”]

Jasmin Mujanović is a PhD student in Political Science at York University, in Toronto, Canada, working on the topic of participatory democratic alternatives in Bosnia-Herzegovina, and is a regular contributor to Politics, Re-Spun

A new narrative - why a 'Bosnian Spring' is Bosnia's only hope | TransConflict | Transform, Transcend, Translate - TransConflict Serbia

Ok,first of all,we cant compare a "bosnian spring" with the "arabian spring" because even if the two "springs" were/could be created on a political basis was the development of the "arabian spring" different from the view that this "spring" arise because of totalitarian/authoritarian regimes.In BIH this is not the case.
But in two points I agree with the author:xenophobia and chauvinism
In one way the author has right with this thinking even if we find such problems all around the world in such full packed places with different nationalites and religions they can be spread very/extremly easy.Eventully such things are not a big surprise any more.

So what would be the result of an Bosnian 'Spring' ?

The Suspencion of the Dayton Agreement ?

Or the Suspension of the Entity Voting ?

Or maybe... just maybe some good ol' Anarchy with a combination of Riots..

lasst uns erstmal abwarten, was überhaupt aus so einem frühling (nach arabischem vorbild) wird, bevor wir ihn uns zum beispiel nehmen... bin überzeugt, dass es auf "europäische art" besser geht. auch wenn es länger dauert.

Zurück
Oben