Aktuelles
  • Herzlich Willkommen im Balkanforum
    Sind Sie neu hier? Dann werden Sie Mitglied in unserer Community.
    Bitte hier registrieren

Malta Sport Thread

Malta’s Olympics debut

The Malta Olympic squad in 1959 after a training session with coach Joe H. Griffiths and other Malta FA officials.

• In 1959 Malta took part in the Rome Olympics tournament. During summer, team manager Victor Vassallo and national coach Joe Griffiths assembled a group of promising youngsters and a handful of seasoned amateur players to form the basis of the National Amateur XI.

When the draws were made, Malta was paired with Morocco and Tunisia. The inclusion of Malta in the African group was received with mixed feelings. Many questioned FIFA’s decision to group Malta with African states.
The MFA, however, felt that Malta stood a better chance of qualifying from an African group than Europe, so, it did not contest the decision.
After all, Malta was still not a member of FIFA and, although correspondence between the two bodies was exchanged on the subject, Malta’s affiliation was only confirmed during a FIFA congress in Rome in August, 1960.
Malta’s first match of the qualifying group was played on November 1, 1959.
The Empire Stadium looked its best for the occasion as the two teams filed out of the dressing rooms led by international referee Peter Kroner, of Romania.
The match kicked off amid the shouts of encouragement of the thousands of Maltese supporters. The shouts, however, were soon changed to cries of disappointment as the Tunisians forced the Maltese defence to work overtime.
The locals were hopelessly outplayed but somehow they held on to a 0-0 draw.
Malta fared much better against Morocco a week later. Showing rare grid and determination, they took a 2-0 lead by half-time.
In the second half, however, the Africans seemed to find their feet and goals by Bechekroun and Baba gave them a merited point.
The return matches were played the following month.
A 2-0 defeat against Tunisia on December 6 dashed Malta’s hopes of playing in the Rome Games.
The qualifier was played in a rainstorm. The Maltese felt that it should have been abandoned but this was certainly no excuse for the team’s poor performance. The truth was that the Africans had made a giant step forward.
Gone were the days when our teams could go on tour to the Black Continent and return home laden with the spoils of victory.
On December 13, 1959, Malta met Morocco at the newly-built Marcel Cedar Stadium in Casa-blanca. Before the start of the game, the two teams were presented to the Moroccan Crown Prince, Ali Mohammed. An avid football enthusiast, the Prince worked hard to establish the game in his country.
The adverse result against Tunisia did not seem to dampen the spirit of the Maltese and in Casablanca they played perhaps, the best football of the tournament.
Morocco enjoyed the best of the exchanges in the first half. They drew first blood through Mustapha Moulay after only 13 minutes but on the half-hour Dalli intercepted a pass from Chircop to equalise.
Then, disaster struck the Maltese team. Only three minutes were left for half-time when Frankie Zammit passed back to goalkeeper Freddie Mizzi to clear upfield.
It seemed to be quite an easy task for the young goalkeeper but Mizzi must have lost his concentration.
Somehow he stabbed his toes in the ground and the ball flew to Moulay who had no difficulty to shoot into an empty net.
In the second half, Malta made a great effort to save the game. Charlie Chircop almost scored the equaliser and Sammy Nicholl was about to score when he was judged offside.
The Maltese continued to push forward and for a while they had the hosts defending grimly.
Then, in a rare Moroccan counter-attack, the Maltese defence panicked and the Africans were awarded a penalty.
Mizzi, however, made up for his earlier lapse with a superb save.
His heroics seemed to inspire the team and for the rest of the game they had the Moroccans with their backs to the wall. Time and again the Maltese seemed to be about to score but somehow the ball was always cleared in time.
The final whistle found the Afri-cans still leading 2-1 but there was no glory in their victory. The Maltese won all the honours and they fully deserved the standing ovation of the crowd as they left the ground with their heads held high.

1-11-59
Malta - Tunisia
0-0 (0-0)
8-11-59
Malta - Morocco
2-2 (xxx)
15-11-59
Tunisia - Morocco
2-0 (xxx)
6-12-59
Tunisia - Malta
2-0 (xxx)
13-12-59
Morocco - Malta
2-1 (xxx)
27-12-59
Morocco - Tunisia
3-1 (xxx)
QUALIFIED: Tunisia

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Poland consider Malta friendly

The Polish FA are looking to arrange a friendly match against Malta or Liechtenstein only a few days before the start of the Euro 2012 finals.
Reports in the Polish media yesterday said that Poland, who are co-hosting next year’s European Championships with Ukraine, are interested in setting up a final warm-up against weak opposition at the Warsaw Stadium on June 2.
It has been claimed that Polish officials believe that a friendly against Malta or Liechtenstein would give their team the best chance of boosting their morale ahead of the Euro Championships.
National team manager Konrad Pasniewski was quoted as saying that Poland will spend a two-week training in camp in Austria in mid-May during which they will play two friendlies against Latvia on May 22 and Slovakia on May 26.
After the training camp, the Polish squad will move to their Euro 2012 base in Warsaw where they intend to play their final warm-up.
Poland open their Euro 2012 campaign against Greece on June 8.

Dusan Fitzel is flattered by the Malta FA’s interest in re-appointing him national team coach.
The Czech has emerged as the no.1 candidate to succeed John Buttigieg and MFA president Norman Darmanin Demajo on Tuesday spoke in glowing terms about Fitzel’s credentials after the two held informal talks in Prague last month.
“It’s nice that people still look at me as someone who made a contribution to improve Maltese football,” Fitzel, who currently works as technical director of the Czech FA, told The Times from Prague yesterday.
“I’ve read that the president of the MFA spoke positively about me. I’m really pleased about that.
“I’m still thinking about my future but I have to say that I’m grateful to have received this opportunity because, in times like this, it’s not easy to get job offers, also in football.
“On the other hand, I’m presently in the Czech Republic and I have a job here.”
Fitzel had a three-and-a-half year spell at the helm of the national team between 2006 and 2009.
In his first two years in charge, he guided Malta to a string of excellent results in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, including a 2-1 home win over Hungary, and an overall tally of five points.
Malta failed to emulate their Euro 2008 performance in the 2010 World Cup qualifiers as they only managed a point, a goalless draw at home to Albania.
Fitzel relinquished his duties as Malta coach in July 2009 for health reasons and returned home the following October before taking up the post of technical director of his country’s FA.
Despite admitting that he is tempted by the prospect of resuming his coaching career as Malta mentor, the 48-year-old Fitzel first wants to speak with Miroslav Pelta, the newly-elected president of the Czech FA, before making a decision on his future.
“I was hoping to talk to our president but he has flown to the United States and won’t be back before the New Year,” Fitzel said.
“I want to consult him first before making a decision. I’d like to know his plans, whether he intends to bring in another person as tech-nical director or whether he wants me to continue in this role.
“It’s not an easy decision. Furthermore, I’ve become a mem-ber of the UEFA Jira Panel and this position is quite demanding. I’ve been travelling a lot lately but my work for UEFA is very interesting and rewarding.
“Nevertheless, I’m still open to the idea of returning as Malta coach.
“I’m a bit under pressure because I’m supposed to give the MFA an answer at the beginning of January but I have to wait for the outcome of my discussions with the Czech FA president before deciding.
“The MFA have also said that there is no need to rush.
“Robert Gatt will take charge of the team for the friendly against Liechtenstein in February and the match after that will be in June.
“So, there’s plenty of time.”
Regardless of whether he accepts the MFA’s offer, Fitzel plans to move back to Malta one day.
“At some point in my life, I will be back,” Fitzel said.
“I may return when I retire or to work there in the future, maybe in the coming months or in a few years’ time. I’m certain that I will return, the question is when.”

Asciak retains BOV Masters title at Marsa SC

tennis_01_temp-1325578271-4f02b81f-620x348.jpg
Matthew Asciak (right) receiving the Masters trophy from BOV Head Marketing Edward Muscat Azzopardi.

Matthew Asciak has retained the BOV Malta Masters singles title following his victory over Bernard Cassar Torreggiani in the final played recently at the Marsa Sports Club.
The Masters was the last competition in the Malta Tennis Federation calendar for the year just passed.
The tournament, featuring Malta’s top eight players, was also a technical assessment of the men’s national squad ahead of international commitments lined up for the new year.
Asciak confirmed his standing as Malta’s no.1 player, dropping only two games on his way to claiming the honours. He topped Group A and then eliminated Denzil Agius in the semi-final.
The young Cassar Torregiani had surprised Agius by taking top spot in Group B. His opponent in the semi-final, Raphael Sammut, had to retire from the tournament due to a bout of influenza.
Group A was composed of Asciak, Sammut, Matthew Cassar Torregiani and Mark Gatt. Group B had Bradley Callus and Mark Schranz along with Bernard Cassar Torregiani and Agius.
Edward Muscat Azzopardi, Head Marketing at Bank of Valletta, and David Farrugia Sacco, Malta Tennis Federation presi-dent, distributed the trophies at the end of competition.
“Bank of Valletta has become synonymous with local sport and is proud to be associated with the Malta Tennis Federation,” Muscat Azzopardi said while presenting the winner’s trophy to Asciak.
“We are delighted to see a younger generation of tennis players participating in this tournament that should guarantee a high level of tennis in the near future.”
Dr Farrugia Sacco said the Masters brought together experience and youth.
“This tournament very much reflects the federation’s policy of giving the younger players opportunity to gain much-needed experience,” he said.
“We also thank BOV for their continued support to our sport and look forward to many more years of cooperation with the bank.”

Mathew Asciak, remember this name, he is going to be a Top 10 player soon.

Zurück
Oben